Monday, December 13, 2010

Where are you going?

It has long been a belief of mine that "words create". I've been mindful of the words I speak over other peoples' lives, and for the most part managed to use my words to build up and not tear down my children. I understand the negative power words can have if  spoken thoughtlessly. But today I stumbled across this post from Kim Klassen which presented the idea of embracing a 'word for the year', which embodies your hopes and aspirations for the coming year. It's about harnessing a word's positive power, and using it to challenge you to a better way of living throughout the year. Ali Edwards' blog, is also a great resource on the concept.

I loved the idea, but at the same time felt a bit boggled by the multitude of possibilities, until I found this wonderful list which kick-started the process. I copied the the list into a 4-column word document, and culled the 374 words down to just 33, highlighting the ones that really resonated with me. Here's my short-list.

Advance 
Authentic
Bloom
Build
Capture
Celebrate
Clarity
Colour
Contentment
Cultivate
Debt-Free
Determined
Direction
Enrich
Explore
Focus
Free
Genuine
Haven
Invest
Nourish
Pause
Perspective
Present
Quiet
Reflect
Selah (holy pause)
Simplicity
Soul
Space
Spark
Sparkle
Spirit

Out of this list, there's one that really stood out at me, but I'm going to think on it for a bit (something to do with the fact that it's now 1 a.m.!). I'll be back tomorrow with the announcement. Until then, what's your word for 2011? What do you want to grow into, find more of, or experience for the first time in the coming year? I'd love to hear your thoughts and aspirations in the comments.

No comments: